Comics and projects news.
Yup, Levi Levi is on hiatus, but the Levi Levi mini comic ‘The Secret is Murder’ is posting on Tumblr RIGHT NOW. What? You say you’ve never heard/red/seen it before? That’s ’cause it’s never been on the internets. Only a few very special people with paper in their hands know The Secret is Murder!
Check out the first posting: The first of my bonus Levi Levi story from… | ALL ABOUT LEVI LEVI.
I am enamored of floor plans. I don’t gaze wistfully or draw them all the time, but I have amassed a collection of imaginary houses and whenever we are planning a move one of the first things I do is draw a plan of the new place.
So I got to thinking, Why shouldn’t my characters have floor plans? That is, why not combine a couple of passions and flesh out the world I’m writing in/about.
This here is the first. Levi Levi’s apartment and office. He thought about staging his desk in the front room, but decided he didn’t really like when people sat across from him there. He’s not the neatest person, but he doesn’t collect much stuff, so his place always looks spare.
‘Cause as many as I’ve found already is never enough.
Hemlock – on smackjeeves. beautiful, bold black and white style.
Curio – a dreamworld. completely amazing and terrifying in the way that really beautiful fish at the bottom of the ocean are terrifying. great color work.
Prague Race – beautiful pencil work, or what looks like pencil work. Can you ever tell now a days? crazy detail backgrounds and environments. completely enviable world construction.
saint for rent – glorious, moving pictures. no really, it’s “semi-animated” and sehr sehr gut. about an inn for time travelers.
Judecca – murky colored fantasy world. grim, and beautiful in the insidious way that makes you attached to a character after a couple pages.
Ava’s Demon – glorious, glowing color. I really like the one cell at a time delivery, it makes paging through the story like a reading a book. it also makes waiting for the next bit really really difficult.
nimona – is hilarious and with unique styling. Hilarious!
water – great big hook of a beginning and wonderfully executed brushy style.
shambles – not really sure where it’s going yet, but it is beautifully done. I always admire people who can wield color so well.
Spera – an enormous collaborative comic with artists from all over.
Mark Your Calendars: Participate in Mini-Comics Day 2013 on March 24th! | Mini-Comics Day. No really, mark your calendar. I did this last year and it was really fun. Or, I really like what I got out of it, which is lovely mini comics. All folded up and stapled even. This year I will make sure I have extra color ink for my printer in reserves. I will print more copies. Yes.
Okay, I was crazy excited about Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong when there was only page one. Then, apparently I got distracted (and did not subscribe to the rss feed) and forgot to read it. What a dunce am I? Anyway, Faith Erin Hicks is still the bomb and in combination with Prudence Shen is making another fabulous comic! Fabulous!
Over on the 24-hour comics day blog the 24-Hour Comics Day 2013 date announced. It is October 5th. I love the spontaneity of dreaming up a comic and executing it in one day. It is a trial, but I love what I’ve come up with so far. I’m already looking forward to it.
My first: Death goes to Octoberfest
Last year: Nightmare
All right kiddies. Levi Levi and the Time Machine will be posting on the Bean on Thursdays starting tomorrow. It’s got bold new styling. It’s got a fantabulous story. It tests the boundaries of time and space and natural aging. It’s got back story. And, it’s got a cameo by my friend Micah.
It looked interesting and after clicking through a few pages I started from the beginning and then I couldn’t stop. I couldn’t stop watching Stupid Snake – Wordless Graphic Novel. It is a lovely web comic.
The other great thing about 24 hour comics day is finding all those other comickers who were doing exactly what you were doing. It’s too bad that the group events don’t post participant web-sites, but there are several individual/web participants listed on the 24 hour comics site.
- Tara Abbamondi, (http://tarabba.com), you’ll remember was/is a comic artist I dug up in last year’s scrapings of 24 hour comickers and then I met her at Megacon – without knowing that I had already read some of her comics online. She’s still awesome and she participated in 24 hour comics day again this year.
- Jade F Lee, (http://www.stego-taco.com), didn’t finish a comic this year but what’s done is FABULOUS! And there are more comics and art for my grubby little eyes to gobble up!
- Chantit Simma (http://wildcats25.deviantart.com/gallery/40129794) wrote an awesome sci-fi fic for 24 hour comics day. Do check it out!
- Angel F Garcia Contreras (http://www.anatoleserial.net/blog/archives/511) wrote up a whole post on the process of 24 comics day as well as scoped out what people were doing on twitter and elsewhere (http://www.anatoleserial.net/blog/archives/517). I didn’t even think to look on social networks I never frequent. Silly me.
- Eric Weathers (http://www.ericweathers.net) finished an awesome comic and posted it here: http://www.ericweathers.net/2012/10/the-adventures-of-thumbson-and-mort.html#more.
- Nyssa Shaw (http://nyssashaw.tumblr.com) does some great shading work. I think my arm would’ve actually fallen off if I attempted something like this.
- Enzo S (http://cheerupemokid.com) and Cheer up Emo Kid comics for 24 hour comics day here: http://www.cheerupemokid.com/comic/24-hour-comics-1
- Tina Bits’ (http://tinabitspics.tumblr.com/) comic is a nice departure – instead of a story, it reads like an advice guide: on issuu
- Matt Loffhagen (http://billyhongkong.com) unfinished but great lines!
- Olov Redmalm (http://redmalm.blogspot.com/) is wow, just wow with music: on issuu.
Though I looked I could find no mention of a 24 hour comic but I couldn’t help but mention:
- Claire K Connelly at http://www.thinkillustration.tumblr.com – most notably her comic the wheat king: http://wheatkingcomic.tumblr.com/
- Amanda Lafrenais at http://www.lovemenicecomic.com
- Adam Lore at http://adamlore.blogspot.com/
- Chelsea McAlarney at http://ruthandannabel.com
- Rebecca J Pugh at http://www.h0lyhandgrenade.com
- Jhosephine Tanuwidjaya at http://jho-tan.com
I don’t know how I could have forgotten about Wondermark, but I was reminded a little bit ago and had this comic open in a tab for a over a week now. I’m sorry I’ve been keeping it to myself. It’s not too late after Halloween, is it?