Hey, the 15 page comic I worked up on 24 Hour Comics Day will post here on the Bean on the 28th of October. In the world of my head, people have their Halloween Parties on Monday.
Over on the 24-hour comics day blog the 24-Hour Comics Day 2013 date announced. It is October 5th. I love the spontaneity of dreaming up a comic and executing it in one day. It is a trial, but I love what I’ve come up with so far. I’m already looking forward to it.
My first: Death goes to Octoberfest
Last year: Nightmare
The other great thing about 24 hour comics day is finding all those other comickers who were doing exactly what you were doing. It’s too bad that the group events don’t post participant web-sites, but there are several individual/web participants listed on the 24 hour comics site.
- Tara Abbamondi, (http://tarabba.com), you’ll remember was/is a comic artist I dug up in last year’s scrapings of 24 hour comickers and then I met her at Megacon – without knowing that I had already read some of her comics online. She’s still awesome and she participated in 24 hour comics day again this year.
- Jade F Lee, (http://www.stego-taco.com), didn’t finish a comic this year but what’s done is FABULOUS! And there are more comics and art for my grubby little eyes to gobble up!
- Chantit Simma (http://wildcats25.deviantart.com/gallery/40129794) wrote an awesome sci-fi fic for 24 hour comics day. Do check it out!
- Angel F Garcia Contreras (http://www.anatoleserial.net/blog/archives/511) wrote up a whole post on the process of 24 comics day as well as scoped out what people were doing on twitter and elsewhere (http://www.anatoleserial.net/blog/archives/517). I didn’t even think to look on social networks I never frequent. Silly me.
- Eric Weathers (http://www.ericweathers.net) finished an awesome comic and posted it here: http://www.ericweathers.net/2012/10/the-adventures-of-thumbson-and-mort.html#more.
- Nyssa Shaw (http://nyssashaw.tumblr.com) does some great shading work. I think my arm would’ve actually fallen off if I attempted something like this.
- Enzo S (http://cheerupemokid.com) and Cheer up Emo Kid comics for 24 hour comics day here: http://www.cheerupemokid.com/comic/24-hour-comics-1
- Tina Bits’ (http://tinabitspics.tumblr.com/) comic is a nice departure – instead of a story, it reads like an advice guide: on issuu
- Matt Loffhagen (http://billyhongkong.com) unfinished but great lines!
- Olov Redmalm (http://redmalm.blogspot.com/) is wow, just wow with music: on issuu.
Though I looked I could find no mention of a 24 hour comic but I couldn’t help but mention:
- Claire K Connelly at http://www.thinkillustration.tumblr.com – most notably her comic the wheat king: http://wheatkingcomic.tumblr.com/
- Amanda Lafrenais at http://www.lovemenicecomic.com
- Adam Lore at http://adamlore.blogspot.com/
- Chelsea McAlarney at http://ruthandannabel.com
- Rebecca J Pugh at http://www.h0lyhandgrenade.com
- Jhosephine Tanuwidjaya at http://jho-tan.com
My first page for 24 hour comics day is done and my comic, Nightmare, is posting in the Drawing Board.
Check back during the day for the rest of the comic as it comes out of my head.
I just figured out what I’m going to draw! I am so relieved.
24 hour comics day is coming! I need to come up with an idea – though, of course, nothing more than an idea. The challenge is to plan, draw, and finish a 24 page comic in 24 hours. There can be no story written, no layouts sketched, nothing until the big day. How it’s finished is up to the artist. I did my usual last year (pencil sketches inked with a grey pallet). I’m trying to decide if I’m up for that this year. I can still remember how my shoulder felt afterwards. Why must I mouse and draw with the same hand?
Since I’m doing the challenge from home I will be posting updates and comic pages as I go this Saturday. Thank goodness I finally have a correct installation of webcomic (is, by the by, a fabulous comic displaying wordpress plugin, with which my recent trials were probably all my fault).
I just signed up for 24-Hour Comics Day. Registration is open. Go go go.
Do you know me well enough to know that I am already way too excited about this even though I’ve only known about it for 10 minutes? Of course I’m going to do it. You should do it too.
Now I gotta figure out what I’m drawing. And, should I print up multiples; do you want one? …without knowing what it’ll be yet?